Saturday, August 4, 2012

Olympic Monitor: 6th Place for Kelly Ann Baptiste


Although Kelly Ann produced the best ever Olympic performance by a woman athlete from Trinidad and Tobago, it was not enough to capture gold as Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce wouldn't have it any other way than to ensure the Gold medal stays in Jamaica. 

A golden ribbon in her hair, the bubbly Jamaican made it back-to-back Olympic titles in the women's 100 meters Saturday night, closing ground over the last 20 meters and leaning at the line to win in 10.75 seconds and edge American Carmelita Jeter by .03 seconds.

Fraser-Pryce became the first woman to repeat in the 100 since Gail Devers of the U.S. in 1992 and 1996. 


Trinidad and Tobago's sprinter, Kelly Ann Baptiste stated that "everything happens for a reason," applauding Shelly Ann Fraser.  "It just shows what champions are made of. To be able to win successive Olympic titles, that's no easy feat. Hats off to her." said Baptiste. 

Running out of lane two, it was difficult for Baptiste to keep pace with the championship leaders. Stating that she could do better, Baptiste tried hard to contain her self, stating that 'I know I'm a better athlete". 


Semoy Hackett, another Trinidad and Tobago sprinter was unable to reproduce her personal best 11.04 seconds clocking from round one,finishing fifth in the opening semifinal heat in 11.26.

"The race wasn't properly distributed," she told the Sunday Express.
"At ten metres I felt I was too low. I felt I was going to fall, so I tried to get up and sprint to catch the pack. It was not as good as I wanted the race to be. I was satisfied with the 11.04 from (Friday), and I was trying to execute this race the same way, but unfortunately I didn't do it.
"I'm trying to make the final for the 200," Hackett continued, "hopefully medal, and then go on to the relay."

Michelle-Lee Ahye also bowed out in the semifinal round of the 100m dash, the 20-year-old T&T athlete finishing eighth in semifinal number three in 11.32 seconds.
"My first Olympics…I'm young. So I'm not really worried. Bigger and better things for Worlds."
Baptiste is also hoping for an improved performance at the 2013 World Championships in Moscow, Russia.

"I have a lot to prove to myself. The battle is within me and my abilities, and what I think I'm capable of. World Championships next year, that's my aim," Baptiste ended. "I'm just going to keep on working harder."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for TobagoDaily

Trinidad and Tobago Newsday