Thursday, June 6, 2013

Tobago Father of Two Electrocuted at Work

Tyrone Crawford
An investigation has been launched into the death of 34-year-old lorry loader Tyrone Crawford, who was electrocuted on the compound of the Division of Infrastructure and Public Utilities in Scarborough at around 7.30 a.m. yesterday.

According to officials of the Infrastructure Division, Crawford, a lorry loader for the past 12 years, was standing with his hand touching the wing mirror of a dump truck while the driver, who was sitting in the cab, raised the tray of the truck.

The tray came into contact with an electrical ground wire and Crawford, a father of two from Canaan, was thrown to the ground. He was assisted by his colleagues, who called emergency officials, and was taken to Scarborough General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Keith Sandy, an employee with the Division and friend of the deceased, said he was shaken over the incident as only moments before he had a bowl of soup with Crawford.

A grief-stricken Sandy, with tears in his eyes, said for the past 13 years employees have been calling for T&TEC to remove the live wires.

“But what I’m saying...T&TEC have to be blamed for that. We ask them long time, they never come. Why is now they come when somebody die!”

Sandy said it could have been him as on previous occasions he almost came into contact with the live wires.

“Now the fella in the truck, he aint go notice, he just trying to get the truck clean to load, but look what happen. Everybody with white helmet down here. The man die, could they bring him back?”

Sandy said the Division of Infrastructure was aware of the matter. 

“The safety officer know about these things, because he come and let us know what is your safety...your vest, helmet and so on.”

Handel Beckles, Tobago House of Assembly (THA) assistant Secretary of Infrastructure and Public Utilities, told the Express it was a sad day for the division as one of their own has been lost.

In offering condolences to Crawford’s family, Beckles said an investigation has been launched by the division’s safety officer and counselling is being provided to the family and colleagues by the THA Division of Health.

“Some are saying this was reported to T&TEC over 13 years ago...I have no knowledge. We have to investigate to see where things are.”
Head of T&TEC Tobago Garnish Narine also visited the scene. He said T&TEC has launched an investigation into the incident.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for TobagoDaily