Sunday, February 10, 2013

Machel honoured to share title with SuperBlue


Consecutive double Soca Monarch Machel Montano feels "honoured" to have tied with five-time winner Austin "SuperBlue" Lyons in the Power category following the finals of the International Soca Monarch competition last Friday night.

Speaking to the Sunday Express early yesterday morning, Montano reiterated that "SuperBlue" was the reason he started singing soca.

He said: "It is a great honour to tie with the man that made me want to sing soca. He pushed me to work harder and go beyond my limits (Friday) night. I congratulate him and his ability to return and be a force to be reckoned with. I feel proud to be the defender of my generation as Superman returned to meet the Boy of Steel." 

Montano said he was caught unawares when the results were being announced, but gave all praise to God once he heard the results.

"I was right outside the artistes entrance and I think someone told me about the Groovy so I walked in to hear and then I heard the Power results walking through the artistes tunnel and I thought: To God be the glory.

We didn't overreact or go crazy because we simply didn't have the energy after working really hard, long hours and we were exhausted. I am truly grateful and even more confident in the belief that hard work really pays."

Asked about plans to celebrate defending his titles, Montano said he had a mini-celebration with his team but deferred the grand occasion to Ash Wednesday.

"I just did with the team—we prayed, we laughed, we made a toast and we dissected our shows. We still have performances to go, so we are still focused. We have 'Mania' on Sunday night, which will be big but we will really celebrate with our fans at Club Zen on Ash Wednesday." 

Earlier this season, Montano declared his intention to play mas on the road with Fantasy Carnival again this year, as the band also celebrated his Soca Monarch victories last year and helped him to secure his 2012 Road March title.

However, after the rigorous schedule of the last ten days, the veteran entertainer is thinking of escaping to somewhere quieter.

Now a consecutive double Soca Monarch, Montano is hoping to create history and win the Road March title once again with his song "Float".
He said:

"I think the race is close but "Float" really is better designed to lift masqueraders when crossing the stage. I want to hover with the double triple crowns."

Reproduced from TrinidadExpress

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for TobagoDaily

Trinidad and Tobago Newsday